Big Nodge to the lifesavers and staff of Newtonpark Swimming Pool in Port Elizabeth, who work extremely hard behind the scene to make a national event like the Water Polo Championship run smoothly.
If all Nelson Mandela Municipality workers were so dedicated in their work as these guys and girls of the Port Elizabeth Pools
We would have the best Municipality in the world
Seeing Queen Mary 2 in Port Elizabeth is just too much for words
The magnificent Queen Mary 2 is one of the most luxurious cruise ship and she represent a golden era of travel.
Built in 1969
Length: 345 m
Weight: 76,000 tons
Construction started: July 4, 2002
Launched: March 21, 2003
Builders: STX Europe, Chantiers de l'Atlantique
Pure talent in action
Drifting, Andy Mckee, Pine pienaar
A father’s greatest achievement in life is when his son walks (swim) ahead of him - That is day when he considers his job almost done.
Recently the 89th river mile swim was celebrated in Sunday River at Cannonvile near Port Elizabeth. This is Africa’s oldest open water swimming event started in 1924. The sports day starts with an off-road triathlon, then kids under 12 swim leading to the ladies mile swim. All events are swum with the incoming tide.
People participate in this event for different reasons
· Some professional and serious swimmers think swimming with the incoming tide is a race
· Others swim for health reasons, swimming is one way to control diabetes and blood pressure
This fun event is a active time for friends and families to get together and enjoy the day on the riverbanks of the Sunday river in Colchester.
The river mile is also a closure-event for me It signifies the end of a Blood Sugar Control year.
While I train on a regular basis but practicing for an event like this takes more planning. Last year I kept my Blood sugar at higher level to make sure I don’t run-out of energy. BIG mistake! Manipulating glucose levels can be done through a careful controlled eating plan. But that is a post on it own - for now I would like to share with you how this event has strengthen my father-son relationship In the weeks leading up to the river mile event - practicing with my son at 05h00 in the morning has been one of the best ways we connected.
A Father- Son relationship is complex
because the relationship is most of the time not very vocal and even a bit time one-sided at times. A Father- Daughter relationship is sometimes easier because there is gentleness and care
For any relationship to work one need to share and exchange ideas (dreams).
This is where most fathers go wrong:-
Fathers tend to think because they have also been at that age once - they have all the correct answers (instructions) for their sons.
Man! just get over yourself.
The information we have as father are outdated. With internet and other gadgets children are so much more intellectual advance and updated than what we were at their age
· Fathers need to listen to their sons and I mean really listen - without interruptions. You need to know not guess.
· Do NOT dispense advice or instructions while he is sharing - The only time you give advice is when he asked for it.
· Once you know what your son problem is. DO NOT fix it - Rather create a fix which he can use to fix it himself.
· Keep Focusing on the positives. Our children get bombarded with negative messages all around them and you don’t need to add to his sense of inadequacy. Like training dolphin’s; Celebrate their accomplishments and turn your back negative behaviors.
- Dads need to realize they are not as good as they think are. You might be good in your workplace or at a hobby but your father-son relationship are new grounds. There is no operation or workshop manual that comes with your son, he is an individual
· Every father-child-relationship is unique journey and should be treated As such.
· Treated your son with respect and above all respect what he values
· Be open minded – understand the world through your son’s eyes
· Things change - From toddler stage to young man keep things in balance just be sure you keep up with your sons thinking patens.
· Time is precious - value time with your son/daughter. With our daily grins it is a wonder that we ever see each other
Set priorities - make one on one time. Make a way to connect. Find your common activity
· Built a relationship based on trust – At some stage you are not going to live up to your son’s expectations and he is also going to fail you. But if trust is present you know not to sweat the little stuff because it too shall pass.
Fathers should encourage/influence their children to swim ahead and help them take the steps to independents, while keeping them close to the family
Every child needs a Father and every father needs a Child
Ps. What did you do lately to strengthen a relationship?
Send us your suggestion and ideas in the comments section right below this post
Rammstein has shaken South Africa in 2011, It about time for another stir from this amazing German together with the Texas singer Sharleen. SA will be rock.
.Vampires or XXX.
This metal Band was started in 1994 and although they mainly perform in Germany. They have now become Global Performers. The members are;
· Till Lindemann(lead vocals)
· Richard Kruspe (lead guitar and backing vocals)
· Paul Landers (rhythm guitar, backing vocals)
· Oliver Riedel (bass guitar, “Ollie”),
· Christoph Schneider (drums and Electronic percussion, “Doom”)
· Christian Lorenz (keyboards, “Flake”)
What an artist!
Fresh Fish and Salads
Diabetic Reaction Manual
Man! This festive season really has messed with my Glucose levels. It is not so much the "wrong stuff" that was consumed as it was the lack of exercise and consistency
My recent Diabetic Reaction Manual update; 06h30 Sunday BG (blood glucose) is 11.7 mmol/l. Yesterday early it was 12.8 / afternoon 15.7 and at bed time 12.5 - So much for BG control.
By now most of you guys know the only way I control my Diabetes is with Diet and Exercise. It is tuff but it can be done. Word of caution only Type 2 Diabetes can attempt to manipulate their own blood sugar levels and it pretty much depends on what stage their Diabetes has progressed. Please read the Disclaimer at the bottom.
Whenever I eat something “wrong” knowingly, I would try to become more active. For how long I am active depends on how much “wrong food” I consumed. With “wrong foods” I do not necessary mean cakes and pastry (some of my favorites.. Wrong foods can also be carrots, beetroot, potatoes, avocados, etc. While I consume these foods regularly, I also know they will spike my blood sugar levels. That is the advantage of keeping a food journal – one knows what apple or a potato is going to do with your BG.
On our side of the pond it is now summer which means it is salad-eating-time. An innocent bowl of coleslaw can be turned into a blood sugar spiker when some carrots gets added or potatoes get covered with creamy mayonnaise instead of using low cal yoghurt.
While each apple fructose levels vary from the next one and it each one will have different effect on your body and blood sugar levels. Keeping your own food journal will empower you with the knowledge that you know in advance what reaction you can expect from your body from the items you stuff down your throat.
Unfortunately one cannot buy Food-Reaction-Manual or an Exercise-Reaction-Manual; you must make or developed your own DIABETIC REACTION MANUAL (ERM). Every person body are unique and with have a different response to common actions. For instance when I swim in the mornings or have an exercise class with Bobby my Blood Glucose Level shoots up! Sometimes the rise is close to 2 mmol/l. In the beginning this was a very worrying factor but after seeing this reaction regularly in my diabetic reaction manual, I realised it must be my liver dumping extra energy to compensate for the extra energy requested from my muscles and body while doing demanding exercises.
When I take the dogs for a walk or do some gardening I do not get the same spike, most of the time my Blood sugar would actual show a drop
If anyone has an explanation for this phenomenon I am looking forward hearing from you
Disclaimer; I do not suggest or recommend you should try my way of controlling my diabetes but after taking metformin for seven years I just got tired of “Swallowing a daily Spider to Catch the Fly”.
Mike Oldfield is a Genius and Tubular Bells is pure magic
Tubular Bells must be one of the most used music pieces and has represented a lot of different things over the years;
· It was recently performed At the Olympic Games Opening Ceremony in London 2012
· Cosmic documentary’s Tv-programs has used Tubular bells
· Exodus also comes to mind
· The virgin empire made a lot of money from this tune
Tubular Bells has always been great Xmas music - it could be because I received this as a Xmas gifted way back
This is one of the better song s of the 70 ‘s and above all
Tubular Bells always remind me of friend ‘s
Wish you a Blessed Xmas